Like most businesses around the world, GEI Mekong has been and continues to be affected by the global pandemic Covid-19. The safety of our people is always paramount at GEI Mekong, so we have created Covid Safe plans for our entire business, ensuring the wellbeing of our employees and the safe continuation of our operations.
Keeping our people informed
GEI Mekong has been updating our employees on the virus and the steps they should be taking to minimise the possibility of contracting and spreading the virus.
Some of the information we continually provide to our people can be read below:
Covid-19 is mutating all the time but the common symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Other less common symptoms of Covid-19 include muscle aches, headache, nausea and diarrhoea. In most people the symptoms are mild to moderate and recovery can be within a few days to a couple of weeks. It is capable of causing severe illness, and some infected people have died. It is possible that people with underlying health conditions are at higher risk for severe disease.
How does Covid-19 spread?
Governments and health experts are continuing to investigate the source of the infection and how coronavirus spreads. Transmission is possibly happening via two routes:
- Environment-to-human: preliminary information suggests that the novel coronavirus is zoonotic, or transmitted from an animal source to humans. The initial cluster of cases appeared to have a common source of exposure – a local live seafood and animal market.
- Human-to-human: from a sick person to others who are in close contact. In general, coronaviruses spread through infected respiratory droplets, just like other respiratory infections, including colds and influenza. A sick person expels these droplets when they cough, sneeze, or talk. Others can get the disease via contact (direct or indirect) with these contaminated droplets.
GEI Mekong urges everyone to avoid potential exposure and practice good hygiene measures. Keep some distance from people who are obviously sick. Maintain good personal hygiene including:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Carry hand sanitiser for use when soap and water are not readily available. Some authorities are advising hand sanitisers containing 60-85% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Please avoid shaking hands, kissing people and other personal contact.
The steps we’ve taken as a business
- Set-up a Covid-19 Safety Plan.
- Provided regular updates that are specific to each of our assets and offices.
- Published health and hygiene guidelines.
- Provided additional resources such as hand sanitiser and cleaning equipment.
- Implemented social distancing guidelines.
GEI Mekong has a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) in place for our business. It contains important practical guidance and measures on how to protect your health and safety should Covid-19 cause a direct impact. It helps us identify and prevent risks as they arise, and respond to and recover from them quickly.